The Dracula Society
Insignia designed by
Please Like and Follow!
Derby Weekend 2020
THE FOLLOWING ITINERARY IS FROM A PAST SOCIETY TRIP, AND IS PRESENTED FOR INTEREST ONLY, TO ILLUSTRATE THE TYPE OF TRIP THAT THE SOCIETY ORGANISES WITHIN THE UNITED KINGDOM
Dracula in Derby
Friday 30th October – Sunday 1st November 2020
On 15th May 1924 Hamilton Deane’s Dracula had its world première at the Grand Theatre in Derby. In 1951, at Derby’s Hippodrome Theatre not too far away, Bela Lugosi once more appeared on stage in his most famous role. Our local expert guide, Darrell Buxton, will take us on a ‘Dracula’ tour to see both buildings, as well as other genre locations in the city – notably the spot where actor Tod Slaughter (last of the ‘barnstormers’) suddenly died the night after a performance of Maria Marten at the nearby Hippodrome...
Friday 30th October:
• 6.00pm: Gather in the bar of the hotel for a drink/briefing.
• 7.30pm: Dinner at ‘The European’ Italian restaurant.
Saturday 31st October:
• 10:30am: Meet at the QUAD cinema for our guided "Derby Horror/Dracula" walk around the city centre, led by Darrell Buxton.
• 5:45pm: Hallowe'en screening of the 1968 Hammer Films' production of Dracula Has Risen From the Grave at the QUAD cinema, introduced by Darrell.
• 8:00pm: Dinner at the "Anoki" Indian restaurant.
Sunday 1st November: Return home at leisure.